Sunday, March 7, 2021

The Sunday called "my eyes"

 An Emoji Devotions for Sun 7th March, 2021


Topic: The Sunday called “my eyes” 


By H.U. Wenger


In the old church order the Sunday has its name from Psalm 25, Verse 15: “My eyes are ever on the LORD, for only he will release my feet from the snare”.


Highlights: “I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go. I will guide thee with my eye.” (Psalm 32:8)

 “Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Relieve the troubles of my heart and free me from my anguish. Look on my affliction and my distress and take away all my sins. See how numerous are my enemies and how fiercely they hate me! Guard my life and rescue me; do not let me be put to shame, for I take refuge in you. May integrity and uprightness protect me, because my hope, Lord, is in you.” (Psalm 25:16 – 21)


The eye-contact is an utterly important thing in every conversation. Important things between partners are not resolved in writing or over the phone. We rather want a personal meeting in which the partners are face to face. The look into each other’s eyes, gives us some assurance. In first King 18 and 19 the Old Testament shows us a memorable example on what is going to happen, when a man of God loses the sight of the LORD’S eyes. 


Elijah has just fought the battle with the priests of Baal and he has been triumphant. All the people of Israel have shouted: “The LORD is God, the LORD is God!” And with it, they agreed to the demise of the 400 priests of Baal. After that triumphant day, King Ahab returned to his palace and he reported to his wife Jezebel all that has happened. Jezebel was enraged and he sent a message to Elijah: “May the Gods deal with me, be it ever so severely, if by this time tomorrow I do not make your life like that of one of them.” Because of that threat Elijah’s eyes have been diverted from the Lord and were now directed to the enraged Jezebel and so Elijah began to run for his life. He was so disappointed with God that he wanted to die from the hand of God. “I have had enough LORD. Take my life; I am not better than my ancestors.” The Lord does not argue with Elijah – he lets him sleep for a while and then gives him a new aim that makes him search again for the LORD’S face, for his eyes that will guide him on his way. Elijah learns that it is not the unrestricted powers of the LORD that conquer and convince with regard to the human soul. It is the goodness and love of God that causes man to turn around and to trust in the Lord, because he is the only one, who can release our feet from the snare. 


Elijah did meet God’s eyes again because the Lord guided him with his eyes and Elijah was willing to look into God’s eyes and follow his guidance. He gloriously finished his path and was finally raptured into heaven in a fiery chart. 

You may feel lonely and afflicted today. Your troubles may look invincible and you may be in great anguish. Turn your eyes again to the LORD. No Jezebel and no power of the earth is a match for the love and goodness of God. In him alone is your rescue and comfort. 


Prayer: Dear LORD, please help me that I will never divert my eyes away from you. Teach me your way and guide me with your eyes. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Applying Christ

  An Emoji Devotions for Thu,25 April 2024 Title: Applying Christ: Daily Devotional for Positive Change Introduction: In our walk with Chr...