Monday, February 8, 2021

A fruitful live for the kingdom of heaven

 An Emoji Devotions for Mon 8 February, 2021


Topic: A fruitful live for the kingdom of heaven  

by H.U. Wenger

Highlights: As has just been said: “Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts as you did in the rebellion.” (Hebrews 3:15)

 While a large crowd was gathering and people were coming to Jesus from town after town, he told this parable: “A farmer went out to sow his seed. As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path; it was trampled on, and the birds ate it up. Some fell on rocky ground, and when it came up, the plants withered because they had no moisture. Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up with it and choked the plants. Still other seed fell on good soil. It came up and yielded a crop, a hundred times more than was sown.” When he said this, he called out, “Whoever has ears to hear, let them hear.” (Luke 8, 4 – 8)

The first verse reminds us of the rebellion from the Israelites against Moses, as they did not have water in Exodus 17, 1 – 7. In the spur of a moment they were ready to kill Moses. The Lord saved them by ordering Moses to hit a rock with his rod. The second portion of scripture depicts our lives with regard to our readiness to receive and to nurture the word of God. The fact that we all live as fallen creatures in a fallen world has the consequence that all four types of land are present in my life. I have not been understood, I have been wronged and it has made me hard like a well trampled path. Here the seed gets refused and the birds or the wind can take them away. There are hurts and wounds in my life that are covered with a very thin layer of earth. Here, I am craving for healing and relief, but the good seed is always too slow and it withers and leads to frustration. I have tried, but it does not help anyway; so why bother anymore? Then, I have learned that there are a few things that give me immediate relief and satisfaction, although I hate them.

So many times I have vowed that it has now been the last time, I have done it. But the thorns ensnare me again and the good plant gets chocked. Finally there is the good soil and it may likely be the largest part and give me my reputation for my Christian life.

Jesus wants, however, heal the three parts of my soil that have become deficient through my depravity and through my being wounded and hurt. Every part of my being that cannot receive and nurture his good seed cannot be sanctified and cannot be fruitful. Jesus invites me to bring all my contaminated soil to him for purification, for being renewed by him. To live the new life, I need to look at the soil of my life. He can make the hardened parts soft, heal the concealed wounds and hurts, break the false gods of lust, greed, envy, pride and whatever else the fallen world has betrayed me with.

The only thing, I have to do, is to confess my whole misery and bring it to him. He will show us the way to recovery. He may do a miracle and simply take the bad stuff away. He may lead us into contact with wise brothers and sisters, who can help us out.

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11, 28 – 30) 

Prayer: Dear Lord Jesus please help me. I want my whole personality to honor and glorify you. I want that my whole being is bearing fruit for you. Please heal the hardened parts and help me to not harden my heart, when I hear your voice, telling me to listen, to repent and to trust and to go on with confidence. Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Applying Christ

  An Emoji Devotions for Thu,25 April 2024 Title: Applying Christ: Daily Devotional for Positive Change Introduction: In our walk with Chr...