Tuesday, February 9, 2021

My doubts can lead to deeper trust and firmer faith in the Lord

 An Emoji Devotions for Tue, Feb 9, 2021


Topic: My doubts can lead to deeper trust and firmer faith in the Lord

By H.U. Wenger

Highlights: For the word of the Lord is right and true; he is faithful in all he does. The Lord loves righteousness and justice; the earth is full of his unfailing love. By the word of the Lord the heavens were made, their starry host by the breath of his mouth. (Psalm 33: 4 – 6)

Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him. Fear the Lord, you his holy people, for those who fear him lack nothing. (Psalm 34:8 – 9)

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight. (Proverbs 3:5 – 6)

It is totally normal that we have doubts because we have so many wants and wishes in our lives and not everything we pray for, is always given to us.
 Additionally we know that our lives are not as perfect as the one of Jesus has been. So maybe God is appalled and disappointed by my behavior. Would he give me, what I crave for, if I could live an immaculate life? Without realizing, we move our thoughts away from God and concentrate on us.

This is the place, where we fall into the same trap as Eve did at the beginning of time. Is God really all that good? Do I just hold to it because it gives me a feeling of security and refuge? God is good because he says so and because he has proven it in history.

Whenever doubts are tormenting us, we need to concentrate our thoughts on God and on what scripture tells us about him. He is the way, the truth and the life (John 14:6).

All the promises he has given us, he will fulfill in his appointed time. It may, however, well be that a few of my wishes do not match with what he has promised. In any case, I am free to pray and to beg with the assurance, that he will give me good gifts (Matthew 6:7 – 11). He has made the heavens and the earth and he has created you and me. All our days have been written down in heaven, before anyone of them came to pass in time. (Psalm 139) Just think what he has cost him to save you from the hands of the enemy! He had to give his only Son to the worst torture imaginable.

His love for you is so strong that he offers life eternal to you, even before you have taken your first steps as a disciple. He will never betray you he will not reject you as long as you cling to him and the promises in his word.  Even if you are lead through hard times, you will find refuge in him and his truth.

The bigger my doubts become, the more I need to cling to him. If I refuse to do so, my own understanding will betray me and I will go astray.  In trusting him with all my heart, despite my doubts, he will lead me in a place of rest and will show his power and strength to me. Paul testifies to this in his epistle to the Philippians:  “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4, 6 – 7)

Prayer: Lord Jesus, I surrender all I have and all I am to you. Please come into the situations that are too much for me to handle. Thank you that you love me and that you are present now. Guard my heart and let me cling to you with all my strength. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Applying Christ

  An Emoji Devotions for Thu,25 April 2024 Title: Applying Christ: Daily Devotional for Positive Change Introduction: In our walk with Chr...