Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Awaiting the Lord’s help with patience

 An Emoji Devotions for Tue, 9 March 2021


Topic: Awaiting the Lord’s help with patience

By H.U. Wenger

Highlights: Though I sit in darkness, the LORD will be my light. … He will bring me out into the light; I will see his righteousness. (Micah 7:8b and 9b)

The prophet Micah depicts in his 7th chapter the misery of the world and especially of the people of Israel in the last days of the world.  He is in misery, searching for good fruits and finding nothing. He moans that the godly have been swept away, people are skilled in doing evil, no neighbor can be trusted, even within the family is betrayal and dishonoring. His words go parallel with what the Apostle Paul writes to Timothy:  But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days.  People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy,  without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good,  treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God—  having a form of godliness but denying its power. (2. Timothy 3:1 – 5) Micah is in trouble and with Psalm 11:3 he might have asked: “When the foundations are being destroyed, what can the righteous do?” The very Psalm, however, tells us that God is watching and that upright men and women will eventually see his face. This is encouraging, this invites to trust and to await the LORD’S help.  Although Micah’s surroundings are utterly barren, dark and evil, he decides to trust in the LORD by saying: “But as for me, I watch in hope for the Lord, I wait for God my Savior; my God will hear me.” (Verse 7) This confidence enables him even to triumph over his adversaries: “Do not gloat over me, my enemy! Though I have fallen, I will rise. Though I sit in darkness, the Lord will be my light. Because I have sinned against him, I will bear the Lord’s wrath, until he pleads my case and upholds my cause. He will bring me out into the light; I will see his righteousness.” (Verse 8 – 9)

There are times of overwhelming darkness in our lives, but Christ Jesus remains always the light of the world:  “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” (John 8:12) It may be well worth if you reread the last bible reference more than once. It does not only tell us that Jesus Christ is the light of the world, it tells us that whoever follows him, will never really be in darkness. The darkness may surround and engulf you, but it can never ever take the light of life away from you. With Micah we can therefore be confident and triumph over the blackness: “Though I sit in darkness, the Lord will be my light. … He will bring me out into the light; I will see his righteousness.”

Prayer: Thank you LORD for being my confidence and my light. Thank you for your promise that no darkness and no evil can ever devour me.  Help me to always cling to the light of life in you! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mere Confession of a believer

  An Emoji Devotional for Monday 6th, May 2024 Topic: Mere Confession of a believer Highlight: ‭It’s not what goes into your mouth that defi...