Wednesday, March 10, 2021

PREMIUM: Overcoming spiritually dry times

 An Emoji Devotions for Wed, 10 March 2021


Topic: Overcoming spiritually dry times

By H.U. Wenger

Highlights: Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory. Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. (Psalm 73:23 – 26)

“Sacrifice thank offerings to God, fulfill your vows to the Most High, and call on me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you will honor me.” “Those who sacrifice thank offerings honor me, and to the blameless I will show my salvation.” (Psalm 50:14 – 15; 23)
The world is very competitive and for everyone who wants to achieve a distinct goal, there will be some obstacles and hardships. As we watch our surroundings, we always see people, who take it easy. They do not have any remorse to cheat a little, to expand their competence according to the precept that competences and empowerment are not given, but taken. They flourish and what we are avoiding, because we deem it false before our God, seems to serve them to their advantage. Asaph, the writer of Psalm 73 must have been in such a position and he just could not grasp it. He had the conviction that God is good to all who follow him, but what he saw playing out in his daily routine showed him a totally different picture and this is very unsettling to him. “But as for me, my feet had almost slipped; I had nearly lost my foothold. For I envied the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.” (Verses 2 – 3) Here is what he observes in his own words: “They have no struggles; their bodies are healthy and strong. They are free from common human burdens; they are not plagued by human ills. Therefore pride is their necklace; they clothe themselves with violence. From their callous hearts comes iniquity; their evil imaginations have no limits. They scoff, and speak with malice; with arrogance they threaten oppression. Their mouths lay claim to heaven, and their tongues take possession of the earth.” (Verses 4 – 9) In addition he sees that people flock to them and join them in mocking God. He comes to the preliminary conclusion: “Surely in vain I have kept my heart pure and have washed my hands in innocence. All day long I have been afflicted, and every morning brings new punishments.” Although the evidence in front of his eyes is overwhelming, deep down in his heart he knows that he is on the wrong track. He therefore goes into the sanctuary of the Lord and finally comes to the highlight that is stated above.
Out of my personal experience I would like to encourage you for the way of thanksgiving. When afflictions pursue you, when you feel abandoned or even betrayed by God, when nothing seems to make sense anymore, it is a good thing to direct your thoughts to the question: What is still good and positive in my life? If you search honestly, you will find a lot of small and bigger things you still enjoy and can be thankful for. Although you will not feel thankful, but rather complaint-ful, begin to sacrifice thank. It will lead you into the sanctuary of God and your thoughts will be guided to what you know deep down in your heart: “God is good, he is good over my life now and forever and by honoring him, I will surely see his salvation.”

Prayer: Lord, thank you that you are holding me by my right hand and that you will guide me into glory. Keep my thoughts and feet from slipping. I know that there is nothing better and greater in the whole universe than you and I am glad for the mercy and grace to belong to you as a loved child of yours. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nothing Takes God by Surprise

  An Emoji Devotional for Tue,7 May 2024 Topic: Nothing Takes God by Surprise Highlight: But  as  truly  as  I live, all the earth shall b...